What is a title?
- Claims by missing heirs and/or an ex-spouse
- Incorrect legal descriptions in prior deeds
- Missing prior satisfactions of mortgages
- Judgments against the current or prior owners
- Undisclosed easements or rights of way
- Delinquent property taxes or homeowners assessments
- Forged signatures
How can I find out about "clouds" on the title?
Who does title insurance protect and how?
Do I really need title insurance?
So remember, even if the title search did not bring up any clouds, there is still a chance something was missed and the ownership of your biggest asset could be jeopardized. Since owner's title insurance is typically paid for by the seller, we urge you to negotiate for the seller to obtain a policy for you even if your lender does not require it.